Wireless 9-1-1 is used to describe 9-1-1 calls, which originate from cellular telephones and other personal communications devices. During peak traffic times such as morning or evening commute, wireless calls often make up nearly half of all calls received.
Things to remember when call 9-1-1 from a wireless device:
- Provide an accurate address
- Give exact street number and street name if possible
- If uncertain, give a close intersection description
- Provide a business name or landmark if address is unknown
- Stay on the line and follow directions carefully
- Do not hang up until your call is answered
- Give your cell phone number to the call taker
As you travel the interstate highway system, notice signs located in the median. These signs have information concerning the interstate number, direction of travel and the milepost. This is valuable information to help identify your location to 9-1-1 call takers.
*Kingsport 911 does not currently accept texts to 911.